Breakaway Research Team
Dr Stephen Bartrop, Executive Director
Steve has been involved in analysing resource companies from both a financial and technical perspective for over fifteen years. This experience
has been with leading global financial institutions and has involved research designed to assist fund managers in selecting investments as
well as in the corporate banking sector. Prior to working in the financial sector, Steve was a geologist for around ten years and involved
in exploration, in geology and project evaluation. Qualifications and experience include:
- Resource analyst (15 years) - Macquarie Equities, Bankers Trust, Ord Minnett, JP Morgan (top 3 rating), Stock Resource.
- Geologist (10 years) - Ashton Mining (now part of Rio Tinto), MIM (now part of Xstrata)
- PhD (Curtin University), Grad Dip Sec Inst., BSc (Hons), Member AusIMM, MSEG ASIA F Fin GAICD
Other Senior Resource Analysts Include:
- Mike Harrowell - Mike Harrowell has had over 30 years funds management and stockbroking experience specializing in the resources industries globally, having served as 8 years at AMP, then one of the largest retirement funds in Australia, finishing in the position of Head of the Economic and Market Strategy Unit, before moving to the role of portfolio manager for 9 years at Bankers Trust Australia, also one of the largest active funds managers in Australia, followed by 15 years in stockbroking, including 10 years at Merrill Lynch and 5 years at BBY.
Since BBY, Mike has operated as an independent contract research consultant, and has completed a contract research assignments for a number of ASX listed companies. He remains focused of researching the Australian and global mining and oil and gas industries, and has developed a comprehensive knowledge of these sectors, and of the commodity cycles to which they are exposed.
As a global resources portfolio manager for BT, Mike had exposure to the international Potash companies, and as the major shareholder in Western Mining Corporation from time to time, followed the construction of the Duchess Phosphate Project very closely. More recently, as BBY’d BHP analyst, he followed the mess Marius made of the Potash Corp takeover and Jansen.
Qualifying as a Mining Engineer with Honours from the University of New South Wales in Australia, Mike worked with Consolidated Goldfields Australia as a mining engineer in underground coal and copper, then qualifying in accounting with a Bachelor of Business, and working for accounting firm Arthur Young (now Ernest Young), before moving into commodity analysis at Australian Mineral Economics, then into finance at the AMP.
- Stuart Baker - Stuart brings unique insight and a depth of experience to Australian
energy industry research from a diverse and successful career spanning 40 years.A decade at the “coal face” working as a field engineer
with Schlumberger throughout South East Asia, was followed by 28 years in capital markets as a highly-rated “sell-side” oil & gas
analyst at iconic firms including Morgan Stanley (14 years), Macquarie Bank, and Bankers Trust.Stuart is highly credentialed with B.E.
(Elec), MBA, member Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), and member Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD).
Rachel Szabo, Manager Client Services
Rachel has over 20 years' experience within customer service, administrative and operational roles, of which ten have been within Financial
Services - including managing client services for Bridges Financial Services and similar roles within the Commonwealth Bank of
Australia and National Australia Bank. Rachel holds a Bachelor of Business (Finance and Human Resource Management) and a Diploma
in Financial Services (Financial Planning).